2022 SCYA Girls Lacrosse
Welcome to SCYA Girls Lacrosse. Registration will open December 1st for Spring 2022 Girls lacrosse in South County.
SCYA aspires to be an outstanding educational-athletic organization that provides a high-quality experience to every athlete. A high-quality experience is one in which every athlete:
- Is coached using the principles of Positive Coaching
- Has fun at practices and games
- Feels like an important part of the team regardless of skill levels
- Learns “life lessons” that have value beyond the playing field
- Learns the skills, tactics and strategies of the game and improves as a player.
We have approximately 140 girls enrolled in the SCYA Girl’s Lacrosse program with an average of 12 teams each Spring with the hope of increasing that number each year. Our teams for the spring season are broken down into the following age groups:
- Little Laxers- PreK-K
- Sticklettes – 1st-2nd grade
- Pee Wee – 3rd and 4th grade
- Middies – 5th and 6th grade
- Juniors – 7th and 8th grade
All girls are welcome to play with SCYA, regardless of their level of experience. We are always excited to introduce girls at every age to the sport we love and encourage our athletes to be involved in other activities outside of lacrosse. We understand the importance of multi-sport athletes, allowing girls to experience the benefits of all sports without the pressure of specialization. We work around club team schedules to the best of our ability to allow the girls to continue to play lacrosse with their friends through middle school.
We recognize that coaches are the people who most directly make this all possible. We provide every coach with US Lacrosse training and development and the tools to succeed as a Positive Coach. If you have any interest in coaching or being an assistant coach please contact us. We will provide training for new coaches and continuing coaching development to all our coaches throughout the year free of charge.
REGISTRATIONS & TEAM BREAKDOWN
The number of registrations will determine our team breakdowns.
Coaching and friend request for pre k- 4th grade will be considered but not guaranteed. 5th -8th grade team placements are determined by evaluations only.
Little Laxers (Pre K-K) $40
Each Spring we offer an opportunity for Pre-K and Kindergarten girls to get a little taste of what lacrosse is all about. We will provide sticks for the season to all players. We practice once per week starting the first week of April and finish the week before Memorial Day. If you would like to help coach this age group please let me know and I will provide everything you need and answer any questions you may have.
Stickletts (1st-2nd grade) $65
Our in house sticklette program has two practices per week starting in the middle of March and ending the week before Memorial Day. Each team will consist of between 9 and 12 players. We will practice twice per week until games begin. Once games begin we will practice once per week. Games will be on Thursday nights starting in the middle of April. We will scrimmage against other SCYA teams and local organizations.
Pee Wee (3rd-4th grade) $80
Practices start the 1st week of March. Games are played starting in early April and could be played any day of the week including weekends. Depending on the number of registrations we may allow 2nd graders to play up. (Min. of 10 and Max. of 15 per team)
Middies (5th-6th grade) $90
Practices start the 1st week of March. Teams will be determined by the evaluation process. Games are played starting in early April and could be played any day of the week including weekends. Depending on the number of registrations we may allow 4th graders to play up. (Min. of 17 and Max. of 22 per team)
Juniors (7th-8th grade) $90
Practices start the 1st of March. Teams will be determined by the evaluation process. Games are played starting in early April and could be played any day of the week including weekends. Depending on the number of registrations we may allow 6th graders to play up. (Min. of 17 and Max. of 22 per team)
EVALUATIONS AND TEAMS
After discussion with our coaches and parents we have deceieded to keep our teams together based on Grade level. In previous years we have held evaluations and had teams of 6th-8th graders and teams of 6th graders with a few 8th graders based on how evaluations played out. We understand that in doing this there will be new players on teams with players who have multiple years of experience. We have found that keeping all the grades together in a rec program helps to keep players involved with the game into high school.
With this said, we do not always have the ability to fill out a team with the same age group. Depending on our numbers we may ask players to play up a grade based on a variety of factors. It may be skill level, special requests for carpooling and family reasons, conflicts with other events going on that prohibit practicing on certain nights. While we can't always accomodate every request, we will do our best.
If you have special requests please submit those in your registration.
Our Middie and Junior team rosters will consist of between 17-22 players and the number of registrations will determine if we allow 6th graders to try-out for Juniors and 4th graders to try-out for Middies. Please let me know on your registration if you are interested in playing up.
SCYA follows the Anne Arundel county rules and focuses on promoting fair play, good sportsmanship, fundamental skill, and play development. As mandated by the county, all players at all levels will have the opportunity to enjoy at least 50% playing time per game. Between the weekly practices and the games, players will have plenty of opportunity to learn and improve their skills.
As always feel free to contact us with questions or concerns. We are looking forward to the Spring Season.
SCYA Girls Lacrosse Commissioners
Frequently Asked Questions
Will we have to purchase a uniform?
- No! Due to our generous community sponsors, no player is required to purchase a uniform. We provide uniforms to each player at no cost to them and our uniforms are replaced every 3-4 years.
What equipment will I need to purchase?
- Girls lacrosse is played with a stick, goggles and mouth piece (colored, no white). Goalies will be required to wear a helmet, mouth guard, chest protector, thigh pads and shin guards. SCYA provides all goalie equipment for those interested.
I’ve heard helmets are being required for girl’s lacrosse. Is that true?
- Currently Anne Arundel County Rec and Parks does NOT require helmets to be worn by field players. All goalies are required to wear helmets, however there is currently no requirement for field players
Can I play Club lacrosse and Rec?
- SCYA girl’s lacrosse understands the growing landscape between club lacrosse and the rec programs throughout the county. SCYA girl’s lacrosse will work around club lacrosse schedules as much as possible and allow our coaches to address each player’s club schedule individually.
Where will my child practice and at what time?
- Practices will take place at different locations based on field availability and coaching requests for practice nights. Practice times will vary depending on the team.
Each player will receive an introduction email from their coach with practice times and location
- Potential Locations:
- Galesville Park (located next to the Carrie Weedon Science Center)
- Southern Middle School
- Tracey’s Park
- Southern High School Turf (when available)
Where can I find game schedules?